Super Roach Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who feels sorry for this guy?

5 posters

Go down

Who feels sorry for this guy? Empty Who feels sorry for this guy?

Post  Kosta Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:54 pm

MAX Bailey will undergo a third knee reconstruction in three years after Hawthorn yesterday confirmed the 22-year-old ruptured his left anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) while playing just his sixth senior match on Saturday.

Hawthorn, which has been patient with the popular big man since it drafted him with the 18th pick of the 2005 draft, cannot guarantee Bailey's future beyond this year.

The club was grooming Bailey to be the side's future leading ruckman and he played his first match in three seasons just a fortnight ago.

I really feel sorry for this guy man. Did his right knee twice and now his left knee.

Anyone have a similar story to Max's you want to share. I got this one!

Brad Smith was Pick #57 in the 2004 National Draft. Early in 2005 he suffered a severe knee injury during a pre-season practice match. He required a knee reconstruction, an injury which sidelined him for the 2005 season.

His bad luck continued, and in the 2006 pre-season he injured the same knee during a routine training drill. This injury has required yet another reconstruction, ruling him out for the entire 2006 season.

.....What shatters me the most is, the year after he was de-listed due to injury - he was back again in the WAFL. Winning the 2007, 2008 Bernie Naylor Medal (for the leading goalkicker) and kicking more than 100 goals in each of those years! Since being de-listed, other achievements he has recieved are (besides leading goalkicker):

Simpson Medal 2007
Subiaco premiership player 2007, 2008
Subiaco co-captain 2009

It breaks my heart to have let this guy go. He was de-listed because of injury - but could have been one of the greatest forwards ever for the eagles.
Kosta
Kosta

Back to top Go down

Who feels sorry for this guy? Empty Re: Who feels sorry for this guy?

Post  Nuffman Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Nothing to that extent, but probably one of the 'worst' ones would be Essendon great John Coleman.

One knee injury ended his career at 94ish games and nearly 600 goals (clearly the best FF the game has seen)

Today he woulda been sidelined for 6 months.

Nuffman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dav Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Kosta- shocking luck for Max Bailey, could only imagine what he is going through. Brad Smith- being an Eagles man i know all about this guy. He was seen as the next Peter Sumich but could actually kick straight! In the pre -season for 05 season he was on fire, kicking bags in most practice games. Great on the lead, strong mark, kick 50 metres easily & deadly accurate there were very high hopes. With a midfield of Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox supplying him who knows how good he could of been. Eagles asked AFL for special treatment of Smith to keep him on the list whilst not included on the salary like they allowed Essendon to do with Adam Ramanaskus but AFL said no so they had their hand forced. Another one is John Todd. Most people know him as a coach only but he was an awesome footballer. Was struck down by a serious knee injury at age 20 I think & never played again. If the same injury occured today he would be out for only 6 months. They say he was as good a rover as Hayden Bunton & Barry Cable if not better & they are regarded in the west as the best players we produced.
Dav
Dav

Back to top Go down

Post  tony8210 Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 am

Me, two shoulder reco's and a left ACL knee

Been sliced more times than a birthday cake!

I never got out of amateure league though LOL Laughing
tony8210
tony8210

Back to top Go down

Post  Kosta Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:19 am

Wow never knew anything about John Coleman. How did he manage to kick 537 goals in 98 games, i think that's an average of 5 goals a game. WOW. Another one I can think of is Ryan Fitgerald, famous not for his football but for being on Big Brother. Although he was never seen as the next best thing, he was forced to retire only playing 18 games, 10 for sydney and 8 for adelaide. He's career lasted 5 years, 1st year did his left ACL, 2nd year did his right ACL and 3rd and 4th yeard did his shoulders. Finally, he retired before the club delisted him in 2003. In 2004 he went in BB. Poor guy!
Kosta
Kosta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dom Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 am

How do you think they came up with the name COLEMAN MEDAL? He got brought down at 25 by the knee injury. If he played on for a full career until about 33, he would of smashed 1500 goals by the way he was going. He kicked 12 goals on debut!!!! He kicked 8 or more goals in a match like 20 times (once being 14 goals).

At least Fitzy is a decent comedian.
Dom
Dom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum