Super Roach Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAIN STORY CONTRIBUTION

+6
mattybomb22
Nuffman
Dav
Kosta
The Wulf
The Roach
10 posters

Go down

MAIN STORY CONTRIBUTION Empty MAIN STORY CONTRIBUTION

Post  The Roach Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:34 pm

Ok guys here is your chance. I would like to post the final story with contributions from all the loyal superroach followers. I would like you to comment on what you have learnt this year and any mayor events that you feel shaped the 2009 supercoach season. It can be insightful or a little humurous. Each good comment will get on the main page and I would like to leave it there a while before the 200 season.

thanks guys and all the best for any grand finals.
The Roach
The Roach
Admin

https://superroach.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

MAIN STORY CONTRIBUTION Empty Re: MAIN STORY CONTRIBUTION

Post  The Wulf Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:37 pm

I have learnt not to have too many players from one team no matter where they are on the ladder (looking at you saints!)

I have also learn't not to pick players that haven't done a pre season no matter how big a name they are.
The Wulf
The Wulf

Back to top Go down

Post  Kosta Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:48 pm

Next year I will be stacking the backline so I don't have to worry about a 7th rookie defender every week. I will also get ablett and swan as my first two midfielders. And like you said just get 2 gun forwards Pavlich and Deledio and the rest of my forwards will all be good midrange players that I can hope to upgrade throughout the season with underperforming guns whose price will drop like Brown, Johnson, Riewoldt, Chapman, etc. Man we should all blitz next year using this strategy hey? Very Happy
Kosta
Kosta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dav Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:16 pm

Where do you start Roachie Question Question Question
Most important thing is to do your research, find out as much as you can about the player before selecting him. If injury prone ( Chappy, Drummond), do they start seasons slow then finish strong (ie J Brown). Select players from teams that you think will figure in finals so avoid the cotton wool effect. Much more depth in midfield than any other position so picking good young guns who may have a break out season next year crucial. Guys who are about to play their 3rd or 4th season should be ready to show what they are made of. Not as much depth in the backs so I look like choosing 4 premium backs to start, 2 mid range coming off injury & 1 rookie. Picking good bench players very important in all positions so they can provide adequate cover if a starter has short term (3 weeks or less) injury thus saving crucial trades for later. Picking the right rookies especially if they are starters, key. Many top teams started with Rich, Otten on field then upgraded them after making a pile of cash. Knowing when to trade - check a player's BE to see if right time to trade in or out. Be patient, never panic trade. Major events that shaped the season- The saints resting 8 players before the 1st supercoach final springs to mind Mad Trades i wanted to keep for later finals I was forced to use to fill all the holes (still had one donut). Another major event was whenever Tony traded a ruck in they got injured! affraid Still can't get over the 5 trades used on the rucks this year Tony Rolling Eyes Premiuim forwards generally drop value in early rounds so pick them up from about round 6 onwards - Reiwoldt, Pavlich are must haves (think Deledio will be a mid only next year Kosta but heres hoping). As The Wulf said do not pick more than 5 players from any one team, will take points off each other.Pick players listed as mid/ forwards & mid/backs in the backs or forwards spots as there is much more quality to pick from in the mids than any other position. They are the main ones off the top of my head but sure there many I have missed. Can hardly wait till season 2010 Very Happy
Dav
Dav

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuffman Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:04 pm

Far out Dav, how is anyone meant to contribute when you post everything??

My contribution:

Number 1 Supercoach rule: DON'T PANIC TRADE!
Number 2 Supercoach rule: DON'T PICK THE SAME RUCKS AS TONY!

these are ofcourse interchangeable

Nuffman

Back to top Go down

Post  mattybomb22 Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 am

Try to pick playing emergencies in each zone and look for people who were playing well but were injured at start of year
mattybomb22
mattybomb22

Back to top Go down

Post  Dom Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:30 am

I agree with nuffman's supercoach rule 2.
Mine are:
Don't pick injury prone players unless you think they are worth the risk (chappy, leunberger).
Pick at least 1 rookie from each position who will player the first half of the season and maybe another who is garunteed to play more than 5 games sometime that year (save for trades later on).
Research rookies!!!!!
Don't have a mid full of guys who play and 2 rookies (rich and otten) who played all year but got stuck on the bench yet scored well. Try playing a rookie on field in the mids backed up by 2 more.
Don't spare any cash on backs and forwards as there are few that can score you 100s week in and week out.
Look for bargains in all positions. Look for the hurn, swallow and gilbert for next year.
Look for unique guys who not many other teams have (For me was schammer, mundy and boyd at the start of the year).
Don't spend too much money in the mids on the costly guys. buy like 2 premiums and pack up on mid priced guys who will sky rocket in price come mid year and trade out for premiums if they aren't keepers.
Don't waste trades on little injuries that last less than 3 weeks.
Save at least 2 trades for finals.
Don't trade anybody out before round 3.
Finalise your team before 5pm on the day of round 1 lockout. Saves from the site crashing and you screwing up your team for the year.
Last but not least, Don't spend 5 trades on rucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (all eyes on tony)
Dom
Dom

Back to top Go down

Post  tony8210 Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks Nuffman, I am now famous Very Happy I'm on a web page wooohoooo!!!

My tips.

Well I think I will try and go for an all premium midfield again with a rookie in the number 6 spot. Only used 2 trades in my mids this year. Won alot of early games because of this!

I like the idea of trying to set the backs early too but remember some of the best cash cows were there this year and some of them were keepers

Pick Forwards and Backs that have mid elligability and run through the midfield not stay at home players

DEFINATELY GET TWO SOLID RUCKS FROM THE START!!!!!!!!

If the rookies look good I will try and get 3 per region (apart from rucks) and try and set the rest as keepers. The only mid pricers I had this year were Skipworth, Houlihan, Higgins and Adcock. The rest were premiums or rookies.

Dont trade any rookies until round 8 even if they get dropped.

Never pick Chapman or Johnson again!

Research sites like Superroach, Fan Footy and Your Supercoach Coach but beware of picking the same as everyone else, be unique in some positions Very Happy
tony8210
tony8210

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcat Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:20 pm

1. make sure you keep some cash in hand at the start in case you can't find any decent downgrade targets
2. No 30+ players that have missed more than 7 games in the last two seasons (if you do a lot of analysis theres a pattern there)
3. Pick a decent 3rd ruck - spend a bit more and get someone decent. Also with rucks make your 3rd or 4th ruck from the same team as your 1st and 2nd that way if they are out you know you'll have a backup.
4. No panic trades - grand scheme if they're out for 6-7 weeks early on its not the end of the world. eg had i kept hold of harvey i would have one exra trade right now and another prem mid
5. Mature age rookies will always go better than 17/18 year olds
6. in conjunction with 1 get some more mid prices on the verge of breakout and then bridge the gap to premiums.
7. Make sure your rookies are named in the week 1 teams
fatcat
fatcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dom Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:34 am

Nuffman good tips. I only have a problem with 7 though. Some of these rookies just came in for 1 game and got dropped. A few played games in between but not enough consistent playing (Browne, Spencer, Jacobs, Hurley). Hurley is there because he played 1 game and came back late in the year. Not many people would of kept him because he got injured round 1 (i did). Pick some of the guys (between 1-3 rookies) who are garunteed to play more than 5 games sometime this year but not all from 1 position. Spread the rookie love around the ground. afro
Dom
Dom

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayman24 Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:43 am

Golden Rule: Trades are gold

This is my 2st year and I have realised trades and how to use them is a key to success

Jayman24

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayman24 Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:44 am

sorry should be 1st yr

Jayman24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: