Super Roach Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fittipaldi family returns to DIS

Go down

Fittipaldi family returns to DIS  Empty Fittipaldi family returns to DIS

Post  vipluis Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:09 am

DAYTONA BEACH -- The last name "Fittipaldi" still resonates when heard blaring from the public address system at the racetrack.

During Wednesday's World Karting Association finals on Daytona International Speedway's infield sprint track, spectators strained their necks to find drivers Enzo and Pietro Fittipaldi when called to the starting grid.

The boys are the grandsons of the great Emerson Fittipaldi, who won a pair of Formula One championships and two Indianapolis 500s. He is considered one of auto racing's all-time greats.

"Emmo" made a few starts at Daytona thanks to the International Race of Champions, now out of existence.

Since Emerson retired from driving, his nephew Christian Fittipaldi has run Indy, stock cars and sportscars.

Emerson's son-in-law is "Mad" Max Papis, who is married to Tatiana Fittipaldi. Papis has done F1, Indy-cars, sportscars and most recently ventured into stock cars.

The Fittipaldi clan make it no secret that they want to extend the family racing fortunes to a new generation.

"For them, we are having fun," Juliane Fittipaldi, Emerson's daughter and mother of the two go-kart scamps. "We want to continue the bloodline of racing, but this is fun."

The go-karts are being prepared by Juliane's husband, Carlos Decruz, in the Tony Karts tent -- a massive, mobile garage setup.

Decruz is not only a mechanic, but the children's coach. He was quite animated after 9-year-old Enzo failed to pass any karts in one of his heats.

"I didn't get to pass," Enzo said. "That was bad."

"This is like school," Pietro said, then offered this surprise. "I am racing Limited Late Models and I want to go to NASCAR. I like NASCAR more because it's more competitive."

Based in Miami, the Fittipaldi kids will compete in the Florida Winter Go-Kart Tour once the WKA Daytona KartWeek concludes today.

"This sport is amazing," Juliane said. "We don't know what they will end up doing, but this sport gives them a lot of discipline. That's what is really important."

Pietro acknowledged the discipline part of his racing program when he said, "I have got to keep my grades up, A's and B's, to keep racing."

Pietro said he will compete for Hickory (N.C.) Speedway's Limited Late Model track championship this season, which starts in March. He will commute from Miami nearly every weekend in the spring and summer.

"Go-karts are the base to racing," the 13-year-old said. "If I hadn't run go-karts, I couldn't drive a Late Model."

Racing is a contact sport, and while the go-karts look harmless, some of these mighty-mites can top the 90 mph mark. There were a handful of incidents at the sprint track Wednesday, but no injuries.

"I get nervous when they are out there, for sure I do," Juliane said, adding that seeing her sons compete in the Indy 500 "is my dream."

"Is it their dream?" she said. "I don't know. Maybe, one day."

Or maybe their dream is winning the Daytona 500.

Pietro prefers stock cars and Enzo is fond of the track here.

"I like Daytona because of the track, the big track," Enzo said.

vipluis

Back to top Go down

Fittipaldi family returns to DIS  Empty Re: Fittipaldi family returns to DIS

Post  Guest Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Pietro prefers stock cars and Enzo is fond of the track here.

Back to top Go down